Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Multiple kick pedals

I'm a bit of a pack rat, and a bit of a bargain-hunter. (These traits probably go together.) If it's a really good price -- including if it's slightly damaged but either (1) it doesn't impair the functionality or (2) I know I can fix it, I'll pick it up. Even if I don't have an immediate need for it. Just as long as it's within the realm of one of my ''hobby trajectories.''

For example, I currently own three kick pedals. Why? Well, the first one I bought for around thirty bucks in Tacoma (the far right pedal, FWIW), back when I originally roomed with Old Roommate. I wanted to teach myself the drums, so I started with just a kick drum and an old suitcase. Worked well enough.

Later, I bought a real kick drum from the younger brother of a high school friend: good, fine, I now have one kick drum, and one kick pedal.

But about a year ago, I was trawling e-bay and found a solid-looking kick pedal for a really low price. Bid; won it. (Fourty bucks? Don't recall.) It's the hefty black one on the left. And because it was a U.S.-based auction, I had it sent to Guitar Cousin, then picked it up and had to stuff it in my suitcase to bring it back home to Brisbane. Hm.

My aim is to buy (inexpensively), and/or build, another kick drum. Then I can do the whole double-bass thing. (It's been suggested to me that I could just get a double-bass pedal. Could. But purists would say that running two beaters to one drum head ''chokes'' the hits, because they don't get to ''ring out'' like they should.

And I also have a third one (the flaking gold-y one in the middle; brand name ''Dandy''). Why? Because it was an Aussie-based e-bay auction, and it was a really good price!!! And, who knows...


As an aside, the musicians reading this may've noticed I tend to refer to the pedals (and corresponding drums) as ''kick pedals'' (and ''kick drums''), rather than bass. This is a holdover from recording habits: when I write out the tracking sheets, writing ''bass'' makes it confusing whether it refers to the electric bass or the bass drum -- so I say ''kick.'' And the same number of characters as ''bass.''


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home