Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich

So, I was making my lunch today in the tea room (or ''kitchen'', or ''staff room''), making a few peanut butter and jam sandwiches. (To facilitate my taking my lunch to work, rather than buying something inexpensive and oily from the tuck shop, I've brought in a jar of peanut butter, a jar of jam, and a loaf of bread.) This lady says, ''Wow! I haven't seen anyone make a peant butter sandwich in a long time!''

I said, ''Well, it's a very 'American' thing.'' (Most Aussies don't ''do'' peanut butter.) To which she replied, ''I'm an American.'' I listened to her talk: So she was! (At this point, I just assume everyone will talk Aussie...)

She's from the Midwest (after a bit, I heard the ''oo'' vowel sounds -- has always sounded Canadian to me), and also misses root beer, and has also noticed the language things -- like how you can't find real biscuits (scones aren't really the same), and Aussies think ''biscuits'' are cookies and/or crackers, anyhow.

So: One other American in the building. Plus at least three Scottish folks -- but that's another story. ;)


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home