Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Saturday, July 23, 2005

"No worries" -- copyrighted by Aussies?

I'm not sure how this happened, but starting three or four years ago, I noticed Yanks (at least, in the Seattle area), saying ''No worries'' -- meaning ''Don't worry about it'' or ''No prob.''

I was reminded of this when The Lady was watching a CSI re-run (the original CSI series, thank you!), and Warrick said this to one of his co-workers. How is it that Americans have pinched (or appropriated) this saying? Was it in some t.v. series -- some movie?

I think the main problem I have with it is the pronounciation: It's supposed to be ''No wurrahs'' -- and end with ''...mate!'' Hearing ''No whirries'' just grates on the ol' eardrums.


The Lady says I'm turning into an old curmudgeon. She's probably right. ;)


--GG


P.S. That said, I think ''True blue'' and ''Fair dinkum'' aren't said enough here in Aussie-land; not anymore, anyhow.

(Translation: ''Straight up!'' [for you Paula Abdul fans]; an expression emphasizing the veracity, legitimacy, or authenticity of the accompanying statement.)

Maybe their use should be exported and internationalized?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home