Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Monday, July 18, 2005

Aussie-ism: “Ta” (also: Y’all come down!)

One of the Aussie-isms (but it’s also British) that I’m still not used to is saying “Ta” for “Thanks.” Whenever someone says “Ta” to me, my first reaction is to wonder why they're saying "bye" -- they're telling me to go away. (“Tah-tah!”)

I’m sure I’ll get used to it eventually - - although I have lived here for almost two years (come September). And it still throws me.


Speaking of my living here: I need to populate my life with more people from my previous existence. To that end, I strongly encourage Old Roommate, as well as M and Captain Linux/Linux King to move here to Brisbane. As well as several other people, who ought to know who they are (e.g. Guitar Cousin). Basically, any friends from the U.S.

Tara and Kevin, too: They seem like nice folks; after all, they read my blog, and provide intellegent comments. ;)


Warning: When any of you **do** move here, don’t bring anything with bark on it: the customs folks hate that. And they’ll want to look at all your rocks, to make sure there’s no dirt. Oh: And they’ll impound and burn your brooms - - even your little whisk brooms. And then charge you for it.


--GG

2 Comments:

At July 19, 2005 3:04 AM, Blogger K. said...

Thanks! I mean, Ta!

All of my kinfolk are in upstate NY, and would be none too happy about us moving even further away. But if we ever find ourselves in the land of dingos and wallabees we'll look you up.

-K.

 
At July 20, 2005 2:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of Aussie-isms: My dad just got back from Australia, and he said that he heard a lot of "good on ya"s. He said that he heard that from me before and thinks I might have picked it up from you. Funny to think of how language moves around and evolves. And it's interesting to think about the part the internet plays in that process...Ta!(you get to decide)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home