Turning logs into lumber
So, on Tuesday evening I stopped by. I mostly have enough wood -- but I couldn't bear to pass these up. Plus, they had a pink-y coloring that I thought might be useful.
I chose two of the wider, longer pieces and put them in the kids' wading pools until the weekend: if you let logs dry out before you split them, they start cracking -- which ruins the usefulness of the resulting lumber.
For the initial, "full-diameter" split, I used the handsaw to define the split line. For the remaining splits, I "walked" the wider chisel across the length of the wedge to create a faultline, then used the wedges the complete the split.
The split "drifted" a little bit as it passed through the log, such that the exiting portion wasn't as straight as the entry point. But, that's OK.
(Note to environmental types: most of this water is rainwater from the recent storm -- although I did "top it up" a bit.)
Once these blanks have soaked for a week or so, I'll put them somewhere out of the weather for two or three years, to season. Once I decide to use them, I'll convert them to boards with a scrub plane (you'll get the notion in the first 30 seconds), and turn them into a box, set of small shelves, or -- something.