Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Tuesday, March 31, 2020

The cruel irony AKA poor timing

I've turned a personal corner, and have been slowly de-cluttering over the last year or so.  And starting a few weeks ago, I've really started to get into it.

And then:  C-19 -- and the corresponding shut-downs.


Previously, I'd been selling things on Gumtree.  But, I'm getting a little tired of that:  it involves front-end work (taking some photos; writing a description); ongoing work (responding to messages from potential buyers, most of whom are just tire-kickers; arranging meeting times with buyers, only to have them cancel); and about a year ago Gumtree started adding to your profile (without notice, and with no way of "opting out") a series of photos of "all the items [seller name] has successfully sold through Gumtree".  I do not want a series of diamond rings, or cell phones, or whatever burglary-worthy items, associated with my profile!

For all of those reasons -- as well as the long turn-around time, if you're trying to get a good price -- I've decided to just take my "good" items to the local chain pawn shop (who pays about one-fourth of what they plan on selling it for [fair enough; they're a retail business), and the "boring" items to the local thrift store.

But now -- we're supposed to minimize travel.  I feel bad going out to the local pawn shop (although:  maybe if I do it in a single, large transaction...). 

And the thrift shop (Aussies call the "op shops" -- opportunity shops) that I like going to is closed until further notice, due to C-19 (most of their volunteers are elderly).


So:  that's rather an impediment.

Can't stack it in the garage:  the garage is already full.


I'll think of something.


--GG

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home