Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Swell if Dolly Parton would cover my song

About 30 (yow!) years ago, I had run out of money and knew I'd have to drop out of college at the end of the term.  I was sitting on the balcony that overlooked the common area of my dormitory, and wrote a song called "Il Fait Plu", which means "It is raining" in French -- and is pretty close to all the French I know.

The song really doesn't have anything to do with raining -- but the title contains a hidden meaning -- Old Roommate will figure it out ;) -- and "sad songs" and "rain" go well together.


Out of all the songs I've written, it's one of my favorites:  melody and lyrics.  The first verse is:

I'm looking down from the balcony of my second home
This, is kind, of strange
The music comes, but the words, don't seem to flow
I -- don't know


And the chorus is:

I don't worry much
It's not something I usually do
Looking out the window
    seeing life go on
(Pause)
Il fait plu 
(Pause)
Il fait plu 



And then about five years ago, I suddenly realized that the song would sound really good if it was sung by Dolly Parton:  in fact, it sounds like something she would have written.  Dunno how I came to that realization:  just -- "poof".

I can "hear" her singing it.

 I must admit, I haven't pursued this in any sort of focused way:  I've done a bit of a web search a few times -- but, nothing.

I haven't even started a Soundcloud (or similar) account -- or figured out how to post audio-only songs to YouTube (I have a channel -- just haven't sat down and uploaded it).

Which is why people know her music, and don't know mine:  hard work; gumption.  And lack thereof.


Maybe this weekend. 
 

Anyhow:  if you actually know Dolly, maybe ask her to take a listen?  It's already copyrighted -- so I'm not worried about anyone "stealing" it. 

It's a good song -- I reckon.


Okay:  weekend's coming. Let's see if I post it on YouTube.


--GG

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home