Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Thursday, March 19, 2020

Taylor Swift is a good songwriter

So, I'm working from home today -- part of the "worldwise disease" thing -- and I was playing the YouTube "Taylor Swift" mix this afternoon.

A have a few of her CDs (yes:  CDs.  I'm old like that), and haven't listened for a while -- but a few weeks ago I watched the Netflix documentary on her, so I've been coming back around to her music.  (NB:  It shows her songwriting process.  Interesting, to those who songwrite.)

As I said:  playing the Taylor Swift mix -- and "Shake It Off" comes on.  And I suppose I had never heard-heard the lyrics, but the opening lines of

I stay out too late
Got nothing in my brain
That's what people say, mmm-mmm
That's what people say, mmm-mmm
I go on to many dates
But I can't make them stay
At least that's what people say, mmm-mmm
That's what people say, mmm-mmm


...is just the saddest thing:  I actually started tearing up.  Because:  my personal insight for the last few years is that most people -- young, old, rich, poor, gay, straight, bi, trans, whatever --  are just looking for someone to love them.  So she's going out with various guys, and none of them last -- and then people pick on her for that:  so, you're sad because your heart is broken, and then people slag you for it?  Gah.


And then the next track came on, which was "Blank Space":  and I'm going through my work e-mail, but also listening to the lyrics -- and the chorus has the line "So it's gonna be forever // Or it's gonna go down in flames" is so very true -- isn't it? That's a good line:  concise; clever; and a bit of insight.

And, then, later in the song:  "'Cause darling I'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream".  Ooh!  good; clever.  Good juxtapositioning -- and good repeating "D's":  darling/dressed/day-dream.  Good rhythm as well:  I bet she was giddy when she came up with that one.


And then, a bit later, "You Need to Calm Down", with:

You are somebody that I don't know
But you're takin' shots at me [...]
[...]

Say it in the street, that's a knock-out
But you say it in a Tweet, that's a cop-out


And:

You are somebody that we don't know
But you're comin' at my friends like a missile
Why are you mad?
When you could be GLAAD?  



Yep:  strong, clever lyrics.  How could someone that writes lines like that be thought of as unintelligent?


A minor edit:  I mis-heard the line "'Cause shade never made anybody less gay"  as "'Cause shame never made anybody less gay".  (And maybe that's the correct transcription: I've just copied and pasted the lyrics from a quick web search.)  I think my line is a little stronger.  But, of course it's an edit of an already strong line -- so I'm just polishing something that's already good.


And, somewhere in the mix was a solo version she'd performed of "Blank Space":  yep; knows how to actually sing (good vocal control, good expressiveness) and play guitar.  No autotuning:  an actual musician.


Anyhow: good singing; good performance skills; good songwriting; the  documentary makes her seem hard-working.  Sure:  she deserves all of her success.

She's already found fame, and money.  I hope she finds happiness. 


--GG

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home