Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Saturday, August 17, 2019

A new realm

I know a reasonable amount about recording audio, based on about twenty-five years of reading and experience -- but for the last few months I've been also been watching YouTube tutorials about various aspects of film-making.

I think I'm starting to get the notion (I haven't actually tried applying my knowledge, yet) -- but it's interesting to me how much I don't know -- in terms of both technique and terminology.

Some of it has interesting parallels to recording:  for example, choosing a lens is a little like selecting the right microphone; lighting is a little like room treatments and reverb; color temperature is a little like EQ.  But these are only approximations.

Am considering buying a "decent" camera (i.e. one where you can swap out the lenses).  Maybe for Christmas...


--GG

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At August 18, 2019 3:00 AM, Anonymous Dave'ola said...

That's totally cool to see the relevant parallels! I've been realizing how much I don't know about the underlying patterns and habits of music playing, and recently, video editing. I'm no expert nor do I intend to be. But some of the things I take for granted in my day-to-day happenings are made up of all of these hidden "under the surface" complexities, and it's oddly refreshing (yet intimidating) to see this in another unfamiliar realm (music, video, chasing badgers, etc). Were I to have another decade or two to master one area at a time - ahhh, that would be cool!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home