Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Friday, September 15, 2017

Rule to my children to help people

Here's another rule for my children:  "If someone needs help, and you're able to help -- do it."

The exception is if there are insurmountable odds (e.g. trying to singlehandedly rescue someone from an angry mob), or if it would put you at extreme disadvantage (e.g. impoverishing yourself to financially support someone else).

But if it's within your means to help:  do it.


I don't usually talk about my good deeds.  But, I'm writing this for my kids, when they're old enough to look through my old blog entries.  Here's the inspiration for this blog entry:

-The Big Issue is a "street magazine", kind of, that's sold by mostly-homeless folks.  I routinely over-tip the Big Issue sellers:  the current cover price is $7; I typically give them $20 and tell them to keep the change.  It helps them, and makes them happy.  Sometimes it'll be the only sale that they made for that shift.

-Today while buying the new issue of The Big Issue from one of my regular vendors, there was a homeless guy standing next to her -- skinny and crying, clearly distraught, and with body language that made him seem like maybe he had a mental illness.  The vendor said that the guy had just been robbed, and lost all of his money and his medications.  So I dug deep into my wallet and gave him fifty bucks -- because I figured he could use it (and it might make him just a little less sad).  I also gently rested my hand on his arm, just for a moment.


I could potentially connect "helping people" to some sort of religious conviction -- but most (or all?) of the major religions have "helping people" as one of their basic rules.  But really:  it's just "what you do".


--GG

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home