Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Monday, September 11, 2017

Different radio station

I was flipping through the car radio preset stations on the way to work this morning, and happened across 98.1FM -- which as soon as I saw that frequency on the screen, I heard a radio announcer voice in my head that gently intoned "Classic KING radio, ninety-eight-point-one FM".

Except it wasn't:  because I live in Brisbane, in Queensland, in Australia -- not Seattle, in Washington state, in America.

Most of the time, it doesn't make a difference to me.  But occasionally:

I spent the first thirty years of my life in the greater Seattle area -- so I have a lot of reflexes and classical (no pun intended) conditioning are based on living in the same place for such a long period:  associations; expectations.  So "98.1 FM" is "supposed" to be a classical music station -- not a community radio station.

But, it isn't.


On a brighter note:  as I drove out of my yard this morning, I saw a cockatoo standing in my front lawn, and then fly away.  As a guy from Seattle, having cockatoos and kookaburras around just blows my mind:  I've lived here for fifteen years, and it still seems exotic to have "tropical" birds wandering about.


--GG

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home