Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Monday, May 30, 2011

Eight in eight songwriting challenge

This recent Friday, I was going to do an "eight in eight" songwriting challenge, during our monthly after-work drinks.

The idea is that I will write a halfway-decent pop/rock/folk song in eight minutes, using eight arbitrary words supplied by my workmates. (One word per person, I suppose.)

The resulting song must be reasonably coherent: no "nonsense rhymes" (e.g., "Ohhh, sand pickles froggy windowwww..." is not allowed).

The song will probably rhyme -- although that's not a requirement.

The song will follow a traditional verse/chorus/verse structure. However, I may stop after two verses, if I've used up all the words. ;)


Unfortunately, I woke up feeling poorly that morning. Got to work, lasted about 45 minutes, and went back home. (Got home, went to bed. Slept until 8pm. Had some toast, watched t.v. for about an hour, then went back to bed until morning.)

So: maybe next month.


--GG

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home