Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Thursday, March 24, 2011

How could I not

It's the tail end of summer, so it's still pretty warm during the day -- although cool-ish at night. And because it's warm (or, yeah -- hot), a lot of people are wearing shorts and t-shirts or tank tops.

The problem is when you enter an office building, or ride public transportation, the air-conditioning can be jacked up pretty high. You get cold.

So: As I get on the bus on the way home from work, and I notice a young lady (18? 22? 25? I can't tell anymore) who's sitting there with her arms wrapped around herself, looking cold.

I always keep a long-sleeved flannel shirt in my knapsack, just in case I get cold -- although oddly, I seem to have developed a tolerance for air-conditioning. Plus, being Business Guy, during the workday I wear long trousers and long-sleeved shirts -- so my skin isn't as exposed.

I sat down a row or two behind her, dug my flannel shirt out of my bag, then approached her.

"I'm sorry," I asked (with a [non-threatening?] smile), "But are you cold -- or is that just the way you're sitting?"

She admitted she was cold.

"Would you like to borrow my shirt?", I asked, holding it out to her.

She demurred -- but I tossed it onto the seat next to her, saying, "That's o.k. Just give it back before you leave." Then I went back to my seat.

So, she put it on; she looked un-cold because of it; and before she got off, she handed it back to me, and thanked me. Which was nice of her.


What's my point? Not that I'm this extra-special nicey-guy. But rather: keep your eye out for people that need help; and if you see someone that needs help, and it's within your capacity to help them -- then do so.

Because, how can you not?


(Modifier: Oh. But avoid losing all your money, or getting beat up, in the process.)


--GG

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home