Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Friday, March 11, 2011

Exploding shoe

This happened last Friday: Was doing my "music a day" thing of walking to the local park, playing the harmonica (or tin whistle, depending on my mood) for 15 minutes or so, then walking back to the office.

Partway to the park, heard a "flap, flap, flap" sound with every second step. Looked down, and the sole of my right foot was starting to come away from my shoe. So, tried walking more carefully, but -- nope, fell completely off. I was almost all the way to the park, so I just kept going -- carrying my shoe sole in one hand.

Sat there and played the harmonica. Then walked back -- in the drizzle -- with the wet from the sidewalk soaking through my moccasin-shoe. Got back to the office, and talked to the electrician guy who's been working on the new office suite down the hall. Mentioned my predicament, and he offered me a tube of special glue he had down in his truck.

Gave it a try -- but, didn't work. And now the **left** shoe was starting to come apart, as well (see above; left side wedged open w/ a pen, to show the extent of separation).

How to get to the bus stop: about five blocks?

So, MacGyver time. Raided the office supply drawer, and took out a bunch a rubber bands which I had donated to the office the week before.


Not pretty -- but, functional.

Stuffed a few extra rubber bands into my knapsack, just in case I wore through some of them while walking. Luckily, I did not.

I was going to glue the soles back on, over the weekend, but the store we usually go to was out of the special shoe glue I use. But, eventually.


--GG

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home