Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Friday, February 18, 2011

Son of snakey

Pretty sure I mentioned the clutch of snake eggs on the edge of our front porch. And how snakey had wandered off.

Well, a few evening ago I was heading out the front door -- turned on the porch light, went to put my hand on the screen door handle and WOAH-JOSEPH!!! -- little Snakey Junior crawling across the latticework on the outside of the screen door.

I remembered the two 25c-sized holes in the screen door probably ought to be covered -- snakes belong on the outside, thank you -- so I went and got some packing tape and covered them up. By the time I got back, the little snake had moved up to the top of the screen door -- right above the outside handle. Dangit.

So, I gingerly opened the screen door, stepped out, and carefully shut it behind me, hoping that the snake wouldn't fall on my arm.


I figured the snake ought to be moved, so I got an umbrella that was out on the porch and managed to hook the snake on the tip.


I shook the umbrella a bit, and the snake fell off onto the mat. (Hm -- mat's looking a little tattered... Mostly because I ran over it with the lawn mower, when I was doing the porch edge.)



Finally, the snake wandered off amongst the boots.



It's now been several days, and I haven't seen Snakey Junior -- or any of his (her?) brothers or sisters.

I hope they're having happy lives.


--GG

Labels:

3 Comments:

At February 22, 2011 9:08 AM, Anonymous Dave'ola said...

Reminds me of http://weebls-stuff.com/songs/badgers/

 
At March 19, 2011 2:04 PM, Anonymous bierhoernchen said...

er, what kind of snake was that? Crikey, gye greene, it sure is different down there. . .

 
At March 20, 2011 12:02 AM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Carpet snake. Just a constrictor. :)


--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home