Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Saturday, November 06, 2010

Fret not

(Blog title: Howdy to Bec, from where I used to work. Wonder if she's back from maternity leave yet.)


I was just messing around with my (very inexpensive) fretless bass tonight, and I experimented with fretting the notes in between the lines that represent the fret locations: doing little riffs with quarter-tones. And I realized that those notes in between the "official" notes sound perfectly fine to me.

That explains why, when I much about with the (also very inexpensive) violin, that The Lady asks whether I can hear that I'm being "off". I can't -- because those are the notes that I'm trying to make.

That also explains why I have a hard time singing in tune without an accompanying instrument: all the sounds are legit to me.

Or, maybe I simply have no ear: that's also entirely possible.


--GG

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home