Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Wherefore art thou Chromeo

I've noticed that most people's musical tastes seize up about the time they leave high school or college. I've always tried to battle against that by occasionally listening to the radio, and watching the local music video show ("Rage") at night while I brush my teeth.

I think I'm (mostly) succeeding, in that there's several "modern" bands (i.e. bands that have become famous in the last five years) that I enjoy.


Just last night, I saw the music video on Rage for a two-person band called Chromeo. It might be suitable for folks my age (i.e., "from the 1980s"), as they make use of synths, vocoders, and drum machines. Depending on the song, they're reminiscent of Toto, Duran Duran, Cory Hart, and other bands I can't quite recall.

Their MySpace page is here: includes streaming audio, as well as some of their music videos.

Pleasantly, they don't seem to take themselves too seriously.


Three things of possible side interest: (1) They're Canadian! (2) One guy is Jewish, and the other is Arabic, about which (according to the Wikipedia article), "The two childhood friends jokingly describe themselves as "the only successful Arab/Jewish partnership since the dawn of human culture."; and (3) They had a music video performance on Yo! Gabba Gabba (about the importance of washing your hands).


--GG

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home