Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Sunday, August 15, 2010

We tend to gravitate

I've noticed that people who play musical instruments tend to gravitate towards one specific instrument. My Guitar Cousin, for example, started out on the flute -- but most of his songwriting and recording features the guitar. He owns an electric bass, but I'm not sure how much he uses it: certainly, he's not doing funky, exploratory bass playing. And although he has an electronic drum kit, I don't think he uses it much.

And I don't think "the instrument you started on" has much to do with your preferences -- beyond getting you in to playing music. As I said, Guitar Cousin started on the flute. I started with an alto recorder -- but as soon as I got my first electric guitar, the alto recorder totally dropped by the wayside.


I think there's two components to what instrument you gravitate to. One is the interface -- the way you access the sound-generating process. Broadly speaking, there's fingering strings, hitting stuff (usually with sticks), playing a keyboard, or blowing on a tube while pushing buttons. Note that this is distinct from the usual classification of "how is the sound produced": vibrating strings, vibrating membranes, vibrating columns of air, and etc.

For myself, my preferences vary. I currently tend towards stringed instruments -- but I think that may be because I'm used to the interface. Even though I enjoy synthesizers, I still feel awkward with musical keyboards -- although presumably that would change with additional "face time" with them. And I do enjoy the control over the dynamics that you get with wind (including brass) instruments. Oh! And playing the drums is quite visceral -- good stuff!!!


The other component is the sound: even though the flute, clarinet, and trumpet (for example) work via vibrating columns of air, their sounds are quite different. So I can understand how one sound (or another) would simply resonate with a person.


Which brings me to the actual point of this post.

As mentioned, I recently bought an inexpensive violin. Last night I let the kids try it out (under **much** supervision!). The two boys (2.5 y.o. each) had a quick dabble -- but The Girl (nearly six) wanted to keep playing. However, because it was a full-size violin, she wasn't able to reach the violin neck -- which is a major limitation.

Still, she clearly enjoyed playing it. She even asked (IIRC) if she could have one for her birthday.

I asked her which she liked better: the violin, or the guitar (she's dabbled on my guitars before). She said the violin. When I asked her why, she said, "Because it has a nice gentle sound." Fair enough: enjoying the sound is a totally valid reason to prefer a certain instrument.


Hmm... I remembered that the store where I bought my full-size violin (AU$99, marked down to AU$69) also had two half-size violins for the same price. However, it had been over a week: would they still be there?

So, while running some errands this morning (Sunday, Aug. 15th), we stopped by that store. I didn't tell The Girl what I was up to: why raise hopes, only to be disappointed? At first, it seemed that they were sold out. HOWEVER -- just moved to a different shelf. Hooray!!!

I told The Girl that I would be buying the violin for **myself** -- but that she could borrow it and play it as much as she wanted. If she played it a lot, then when she was a bit older I would either give her that violin (depending on how attached to it she became), or buy her another one for herself. But also that she didn't **have** to play it a lot, if she didn't want to -- that if she got bored with playing it, that would be fine, as well (she just wouldn't get the violin). That seemed to make sense to her.

I opened the case to inventory the contents: yep, all there. Black -- I think she would've preferred a red one if it was available, but since this was the last one...


Got home, and she asked if she could play it. I said that we had to have lunch, put the boys down for a nap, and that I would have to set the violin up first (the bridge needed installing, and the strings tightening). Had lunch, put the boys down for a nap while she went off to her room to draw. I fell asleep; The Girl came in and woke me up.

Set up the violin; showed her how to rosin the bow and care for the bow and violin. She started playing it (or at least: making sounds, with enjoyment). Kept at it for a surpring length of time: no melody yet, but at least she was getting a good, and consistent, tone.

She put it down, to talk to me a bit. I asked her if she was done. "I want to practice some more," she said. OK, fine. :)

Eventually the boys woke up, so we packed the violin away. The Lady came home; we all went to a park.

Got home, and The Girl wanted to play the violin **some more**. Unlike the piano (she's taking piano lessons), where she practices only to accrue additional "points" towards the "treasure box" at the music lesson school -- and even then, we have to ask/tell her to practice. With this, it's intrinsic (i.e., built-in) rather than extrinsic (i.e., external) motivation that's driving her.


So, she's in bed asleep now. We'll see whether this interest in the violin continues.

If not, well -- I have a half-size violin, with two additional young children. So maybe the boys will have a go.


--GG

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At August 16, 2010 1:18 PM, Anonymous Writing Wizardz said...

Hey, I was looking for your email address to send you an email about potentially creating a link partnership between your blog and my website. I'm always looking for blogs that are great to share in our "Blogz of Wisdom" section of my website. Please contact me if you would be interested in sharing my link on your page and yours on mine! It will increase traffic for both of us =)Email me at Editor@WritingWizardz.com
Really enjoyed your writing!
--
Jackie, Co-Owner/CEO
www.WritingWizardz.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home