Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Cool like Slag

I have an inexpensive violin from my Grandfather: he didn't play, but himself inherited it from his best friend, whose wife played it. But I haven't used it yet, as it needs a bit of tidying -- and more importantly, a new bow (or, the existing one to be re-haired). Either way, it would be AU$50-$70 for a bargain basement bow, and a similar price to get it re-haired.


On August 5th I was running errands, and made the rounds of some of the local pawn shops. Saw a no-name electric guitar -- no strings, might or might not work -- for AU$69. Tempting: use it for parts?

Later that day, I stopped by Aldi (vaguely like an intersection of Trader Joe's and a **very** small Costco), and saw that the "student violins" at were on the clearance table, marked down from AU$99 to AU$69 (US$59). Two were 1/2 size, but one was full size. The box indicated that the full-size one was white: not my favorite color, but better than red (the original colors available seemed to be white, blue, black, and red).

My dad has a saying that "you can only spend money once". Debated it a bit, and decided that I had more immediate use of a functioning (but inexpensive) violin than a set of spare guitar parts that I wouldn't use for 2-3 years, anyhow.

So, went back later that day and got it. Figured that at that price, not much different than getting my existing bow fixed.


Checked the contents of the case before buying. Curiously, the bridge was separate in the violin case, wrapped in tissue paper: gotta install it yourself. Luckily I have a few reference books on violins, which tell you where to line it up.

Livingstone brand, FWIW. Came with rosin, bow, and (as mentioned) the bridge wrapped separately in paper; blue nylon cloth hard padded case; also a spare set of strings.


Finally got around to setting it up on Aug. 11th. Oddly, it turns out to be a brown stain color (i.e., you can see the wood grain, but the actual wood was originally a lighter color). Funny that when I opened the case to check the contents that I didn't notice the color!


Today's August 14th, and have dabbled with it every evening since then. For various reasons, my guitars are tucked away and hard to get to; two of the three keys on my trumpet keep sticking (need to get that looked at); and the trombone is just too loud to play after everyone's gone to bed.

But, the violin is accessible (right next to my desk), and not too loud (my desk is at the other end of the house).

We'll see how long I manage to keep practicing -- and how long before I become adequate. :)


--GG

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home