Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Friday, July 16, 2010

Band sounds like They Might Be Giants

I might have posted an entry on this years ago: still valid, though.

If you enjoy They Might Be Giants, then you'll probably also enjoy Logan Whitehurst and the Jr. Science Club. One guy, catchy music, clever but somewhat odd lyrics. If you're a fan of TMBG (esp. their older and mid-era stuff, I **highly recommend** this guy!!!). (I'm hoping that this will catch a few people's Google searches of ''Bands That Sound Like They Might Be Giants"...)

Example here (streaming audio): Robot Cat.

Sadly, he died a few years ago, at a rather young age (29 y.o.). But if you feel like buying a CD or two of his, the proceeds go to charity.

Note that (from memory -- I bought all of his available albums as a self-reward after I finished my Dissertation) the "Store" link (I think) is flawed -- and one of the two links for his two most recent albums links to a defunct online store. So actually, USE THIS LINK (to Pandacide records).


If you just get one album, Goodbye My 4-Track is a good one. If you get two, you should also get Very Tiny Songs (similar in concept to They Might Be Giant's "Fingertips" medley).


Genius, genius, genius... One of my ten favorite bands/artists of all time (somewhere up there with TMBG, Devo, the Ramones, Bell, the Cars, the Smithereens...).

Very sad.


--GG

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home