Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Thursday, July 01, 2010

Thank you for the music

To the best of my recollection, here's a list of people who introduced me to bands that I like.

-My dad: He always had the radio on, or the phonograph playing (and later, the 8-track, then cassette deck, then CD player...). Thus: Creedence Clearwater Revivial, Simon and Garfunkel, Peter Paul and Mary, Rolf Harris, Four Jacks and a Jill, and the Beatles; oh! and because a newspaper interview with They Might Be Giants poked fun at Republicans, he bought us their first album (he didn't take to it, but my brother and I did)

-Guitar Cousin: Weird Al Yancovic, Men at Work, Queensryche, and (indirectly) The Nils (an obscure Canadian band)

-Jennifer Fahnestalk/Nezumi: Sisters of Mercy

-Mike Gardner (from 6th grade): Devo (Freedom of Choice album)

-Eric Schwendtke: Petra

-Those girls that volunteered at the hospital with me when I was in high school (Julie & Debbie?): Tears for Fears

-That Coast Guard guy who worked at the movie theatre with me and loaned me a bunch of tapes and LPs, then quit and worked at that convenience store a few blocks away, then moved away without telling me (such that I couldn't return his stuff): early Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers (I had Full Moon Fever, but wasn’t familiar with the early stuff), Rush


--GG

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home