Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Monday, May 17, 2010

Naming the car

Yesterday I drove the truck (Land Rover Discovery) for the first time. Although it's much larger than the car we traded in for it, I adjusted fairly quickly -- probably because back in my twenties I spent a few years driving a delivery truck.

We're working on finding a good name for it. I've been calling it “the truck”, but my wife and my daughter want to call it “the big red car” -- partly due to The Wiggles song, and partly because the car we traded in was “the big white car” (to distinguish it from our little white car).

We'll gravitate towards something: you can't really "force" a nickname -- it sticks, or it doesn't.

Time will tell.


--GG

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At May 20, 2010 11:22 AM, Anonymous Giovanni said...

Why did you get a bigger vehicle?

 
At May 20, 2010 11:25 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

A reasonable Q.

The previous car was needing too many repairs -- basically a thousand dollars or more every quarterly service. Over the past 12-15 months we spent as much or more on car repairs than what the new car cost us.

There's not a lot of cars that will take three kid booster seats/car seats across the back. (Would have to be the size of M&D's Oldsmobile or LTD.)

Also, got it for a **very** good price from our mechanic, who takes very good care of my wife's clan.


--GG

 
At May 24, 2010 10:10 AM, Blogger slag said...

I used to call my dad's SUV "The Beast". But you're right, you can't force a nickname.

 
At May 24, 2010 1:24 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

We actually considered "The Beast" -- but The Lady's dad's car (large, never ran right, been in the garage for 20 years) is The Beast. So that name's already taken.


--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home