Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Cognitive bias song

Although I tell people that I have a minor in Psychology, that's technically untrue: I had to leave college after two and a half years (ran out of money), about two courses shy of the minor. And when I returned (after two years of working one and a half jobs, plus being in a band with my cousin and my roommate), the school I went to didn't have ''majors'' and ''minors'', as all of the courses were these funky inter-disciplinary things.

But one of the courses I did -- which was two quarters long -- **did** have a psych. component. So I have the substance of a Psych minor -- just not the credential.

So, when I received the link to this YouTube video, sent to me by Old Roommate, I recognized its genius. :) It's a high school Psychology teacher who wrote a little song about cognitive bias. Complete with scrolling lyrics.




Genius.


--GG

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At May 24, 2010 10:15 AM, Blogger slag said...

I agree that the song is genius. But one question I had is whether or not it's even possible to eliminate bias. I've learned to try to recognize bias and then compensate (sometimes overcompensate, which leads to a different kind of bias, maybe) but have never been able to get rid of it altogether. Sadly for me, I guess.

 
At May 24, 2010 1:39 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Eliminate bias: probably not. Maybe all we can do is recognize it, minimize it, and try to compensate for it.


--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home