Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Lifters

Derived from a conversation at work:

Even though I've lived here in Aussie-land for about five years, I still call 'em ''elevators'' -- whereas the Aussies call 'em ''lifts'' (as in, ''Please take the lift to the third floor'').

I found out from a co-worker who is French that the French word is ''ascenseur'' -- essentially, ''ascender''. So, to get from level to level, you would use the Ascender: so very "Buck Rogers"!!!


--GG

3 Comments:

At November 12, 2008 10:17 AM, Blogger slag said...

I like when people call 'em "lifts". I don't know why. It just sounds cool.

 
At November 12, 2008 11:09 AM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Yeah, me too. :)

Maybe you like it 'cause you dig British-isms.


--GG

 
At November 21, 2008 5:37 PM, Blogger slag said...

I don't dig Britishisms...I don't think...At least not intentionally.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home