Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Monday, July 07, 2008

No one likes to mess up -- especially at work.

Well, maybe some people like to -- but not me.


Friday night, I discovered a moderate-to-major screw-up that I was responsible for. Something which I thought I had double-checked -- but clearly not. Or, I should've triple-checked it.

Not of the same magnitude as being a surgeon -- or a pilot -- and making a mistake: my mistake can be fixed just by lodging the correct paperwork. But still, I felt a bit sick at heart Friday night, and parts of Saturday, just thinking about it.

My error was bad for three reasons: (1) As a general principle, I don't like making mistakes; (2) it's related to something we had a "clarifying meeting" to discuss on Wednesday (but I didn't twig to the the relevance of one of the things said at the meeting until Friday); and (3) I'm on a ten-month contract (basically, semester 1 + semester 2), but would like to be asked back (and screwing up isn't a good way to impress the Head of School).


But, I went and talked to the Head of School this morning, and took responsibility. She was very nice about it.

So, feeling better. But, humbled.


--GG


P.S. I'm always careful about posting entries about work things. If you're really curious about the specifics, plz e-mail me off-list, and I'll give you a 1-3 sentence answer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home