Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Monday, November 26, 2007

Sadly, not a Master of THE Arts


Filling in some employment forms. I had to go look at my resume to find out when I got my M.A.

Sadly, it's a ''Master of Arts'' -- not a ''Master of the Arts'' or a ''Master of Martial Arts''. 'Cause that would be really cool.

(photo is of O-Sensei, the founder of Aikido)


Speaking of martial arts and certification: check out this guy's credentials. (Look halfway down, under "Position and Rank". He says he holds:

(1) A Ph.D. in the martial arts; (2) a Ph.D. in the Self-Defense Studies; and (3) a Doctor of Budo.

As someone pursuing a Ph.D. myself, and who's also dabbled a bit (more reading than taking classes, I'm afraid), I question this. Strange that he doesn't list the university he got the Ph.D. and doctorate from. More to the point: I wasn't aware of any accredited universities -- at least in the States -- that have departments of martial arts, self-defense studies, or Budo. Plus, as Ph.D. suggests that he wrote a Dissertation (or at least, published four or five peer-reviewed articles, and then got a doctorate through publication). Did he **really** write **two** Ph.D. Dissertations???

I'm a bit skeptical.


--GG


(Addendum: A brief Google search shows that, at The World College of Martial Science -- which isn't an institution of higher learning, but rather a martial arts organization -- under the section headed "Doctorate & Professorships":

"The World College of Martial Science Doctorate Program (DP) allows you to earn a (Ph.D/MS) degree, Doctor of Philosophy, specializing in Martial Science. This special degree is not to be confused with the traditional university (Ph.D) degree. The Ph.D/MS degree is unique and exclusively presented to martial artist only for life long study (30 years minimum or more) in the martial arts. [...]

"[...] The Doctor or Professor does not have to have a school or learning facility and may be engaged in instruction either academically or vocationally in any institutional or corporate environment."

So, in other words: It's an honorary title -- which is misleading, as folks with honorary degrees (e.g. Bill Cosby) are supposed to be "Doctor"; "Ph.D." is **supposed** to be reserved for folks who actually went to graduate school.

It's like someone going around with "M.D." after their name. They're not a medical doctor; their fraternal lodge just awards people a "M.D." if they're in charge of first aid.

BETTER EXAMPLE: Someone who puts "Olympic gold medalist" on their resume. Then it turns out it was their summer camp olympics, and he won his gold medal in tug-o'-war. Not only is this misleading, it's insulting to **real** Olympic gold medalists.

As someone who's grinding away, trying to finish his Dissertation, I resent these folks calling themselves "Ph.D." It cheapens it -- and it shows they have no clue about what it's all about.

--END--

3 Comments:

At November 28, 2007 1:15 PM, Blogger slag said...

I'll be honest: this is a tough one for me. I am cynical about ivory tower academia and feel that a lot of degrees have a bit of bogus-ity (bogus-ness?) to them. But I do think that words should have meaning. For instance, practical concerns compel me to get annoyed by people who call themselves vegetarian but eat chicken or fish--it annoys me that I can't just say "vegetarian" and have it mean what it means. But maybe that's a different issue. Like I said: tough one.

I've got a PhD in bogus-ity (since I just made it up, I figure why not?).

word: uqwirr. also tough to anagram.

 
At November 29, 2007 2:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool! You didn't even have to send money to a diploma mill for your PhD!

Although the PhD and other titles this guy has smells of diploma mill, it may be that he really has learned his stuff, demonstrated his knowledge, written articles, etc to a recognized organization. Still, it seems odd that a martial arts institution uses a title like PhD instead of, say, Grandmaster II, or something else more appropriate.

 
At November 29, 2007 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a PhD in grab-assing

 

Post a Comment

<< Home