Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Some good creative-folks quotes

While supervising The Girl during her nightly bathtime, I sit in a chair next to the bathtub and read.

I got two good quotes from today. Both are aimed at storytellers -- but you could substitute the word "songwriter" or "artist", and the meaning still applies.


ON SONGS HAVING THEIR OWN LIFE:
“You never know how much people get from your stories. How it affects them in the long run. Gives them food for thought, to help them in the future or just inspire them. Motivate s them to find their purpose.
“Stories are magic.
“Once you breathe life into a story it takes on a life of its own. It gets passed on. Renamed. Retold. It becomes its own creature.
“Sometimes the story will even come back to you. Tell you things in tis own words.”
“The story may have grown and evolved in little ways so that more people can understand it than those who you originally told it to.”
--The Shaman on the Rez, in the Daredevil: The Man Without Fear series “Echo – Vision Quest”, story and art by David Mack, #53



INTERPRETATION OF SONGS:
“I think of my father. Remembering all the animal stories he told me. The lessons that were in the stories. He didn't tell me what the lessons were. He let me figure them out. He asked me if I learned anything from the story.
“And when I told him my interpretations, he smiled. He didn't say if I was right or wrong. He let me see my own lessons in the story, even if they weren't the ones other people might see.”
--Maya Lopez, in the Daredevil: The Man Without Fear series “Echo – Vision Quest”, story and art by David Mack, #53



--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home