Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Thursday, October 04, 2007

My genius kid


In the interest of my non- kid- having friends, I try moderate my amount of kid-gushings.

But!!!

Today, she wanted to go outside, but my very pregnant wife wasn't up to supervising her. ''When Daddy gets home...''

The kid wandered down the hall -- into her bedroom to play, thought my wife.

However, The Kid **really** wanted to go outside. And she realized, Hey! the dog gets in and out. So she crawled through the doggie door.

Not bad.

This adds a new dimension to kid-wrangling.


The second thing is that when The Lady picked her up from daycare today, one of the ladies said that when one of the staff plays ''number games'' with her (e.g. by holding up a certain number of fingers), The Kid states the quantity (the number) right off. Other kids her age apparently have to count up to that amount (e.g. counting the fingers to arrive at the total). So, that's advanced for her age group.

Makes up for her slowness in talking, I guess.

She also has really good fine motor skills for her age.


--GG

5 Comments:

At October 05, 2007 1:34 AM, Blogger slag said...

Personally, although I'm not a kid person, I enjoy your discussions of her cognitive development. I find myself often wishing to learn more after I read one of your development-specific posts. To me, that's how you make your kid interesting. I've accidentally stumbled across other blogs that do nothing more than talk about how cute their kid is and show pictures of them dressed up in different outfits and whatnot. I'm definitely not their intended reader. You're doing ok as far as I'm concerned. And just think. When you have more, you'll be able to compare their cognitive differences.

 
At October 05, 2007 1:36 AM, Blogger slag said...

PS The picture of the doggy door amused me.

 
At October 07, 2007 4:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As you noted, being able to "see" the number like that is advanced. Although some kids at this age can "count," they are actually only reciting by rote a bunch of words and haven't necessarily connected the concept of a specific quantity with the specific word. (I tested this in some of the neighborhood kids, one as old as 4.)

Kudos!

 
At October 07, 2007 4:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also thought the doggy door was a nice touch. (I used to crawl into crab pots. . .)

 
At October 20, 2007 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is funny! There are magnet-activated doggy doors, so that marauding raccoons (or in your case, tick-carrying bandicoots) don't slip inside the house and steal your biscuits. You could always get one of these collars and put it on Bowzer, and hope that the Girl doesn't catch that and put the collar on herself and roam outside. (One neighbor says to other: "They seem like nice people, but I saw their daughter playing in the yard yesterday--and she appeared to be wearing a DOG COLLAR! With tags!")

 

Post a Comment

<< Home