Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Music musings

A few music musings.

Still going thru my cassettes (I guesstimate I have around 350; I go though about four a night, and maybe eight per day on weekends; and I'm pretty much listening to each one).

Listened to the Peter Schilling album Error in the System. Good, catchy tunes if you like '80s synth-type stuff: if you like Thomas Dolby, you'll probably like this. It has his remake of Bowie's "Major Tom" -- which, IMO is better than the original one (catchier, and less mopey).

I **really** like the song ''Only Dreams'' -- but realized that there's no point in my covering it, because I don't know how I'd change the arrangement to make it my own: it would just end up being a karaoke version of the original: a 95% identical backing track, with my vocs.


The cassette has my dub of my Peter Schilling LP on one side, and my dub of my Yaz Upstairs at Eric's LP on the other. If you like Erasure (I think the instrumentalist guy is the same, just a different vocalist), you'll like Yaz. Again, catchy stuff.


I had a brief e-mail exchange with a friend from college, who doesn't listen to albums any more -- regardless of the format (LPs, cassettes, CDs) -- and doesn't like any of the new music. I've heard it said that people's musical tastes ossify at about the time the leave college -- so I'm desperately fighting against that.

Although, technically, I haven't yet left college... (Lingering Ph.D. Dissertation...)


--GG

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At October 05, 2007 1:43 AM, Blogger slag said...

My tastes have ossified. Pavement, Cibo Matto, Pearl Jam...

Good for you for fighting it. I think it's when we lose track of our social groups that we most often stop caring about what's new and interesting in certain areas. Although I haven't investigated that thought at all, so maybe it's something else that causes it.

 
At October 09, 2007 12:34 PM, Blogger Charlotte said...

I am lucky that I have a radio show so I am introduced to new music all the time. But the older I get, the more I realize how out-of-the-loop I am musically. But I don't care. I still find myself in the record store, like I did tonight picking up new records.

I LOVE YAZ!!! I skipped school one afternoon in high school and drove around listening to Upstairs at Eric's with a friend. That was in 1989. I thought I was so cool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home