Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Saturday, June 02, 2007

Staying with far-distant relatives?

I mentioned to a family member that I'd been stuck in L.A. overnight, due to a missed connection (the airline's fault, not mine) when coming back from Seattle to Brisbane last August. The family member proclaimed that **this** is why I should get in touch with various and sundry relatives third-cousins, my dad's aunts' and uncles' kids, etc.) -- so that I'd have a place to sleep when such things happen.

I replied that I'd rather just find a hotel; that is seemed rather ''utilitarian''(?) to go look up people ahead of time, just so I have a free place to sleep. And that I wouldn't feel comfortable staying at such a person's place, anyhow. Nor would **I** want to host a distant relative overnight, having only met them once or twice. (Among other reasons, there's one or two distant relatives on one side of the family who are a little shifty; and on the other side, a semi-distant relative recently married a convicted child molester. So, just because they're distant relativies does **not** mean I want them staying at my house!!!)


Comments/opinions/insights?


--GG




--GG

1 Comments:

At June 09, 2007 6:43 AM, Blogger Charlotte said...

I sure as heck wouldn't stay with distant relatives.... especially if due to a missed flight. What are you supposed to say? "Hey, you don't really know me, but I'm your mother's cousin's half-sibling and I need a place to crash tonight." That would be kinda awkward. Besides, one is never in a good mood when there are flight problems.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home