Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Friday, January 05, 2007

Aha! moment

I get some of my best ideas when I'm driving in the car, in the shower, or lying in bed about to fall asleep. Probably because that's when I start to free-associate; my mind just kinda wanders.

This morning in the shower, I absent-mindedly realized that the poem ''The Charge of the Light Brigade'' isn't about a ''Light Brigade'' -- as in, not from the Dark Side. (This mis-understanding probably comes from growing up in a post-Star Wars world.) Instead, it's a light brigade -- i.e. as opposed to the heavy brigade, with heavy artillery and such.

Ahhh....!


--GG

2 Comments:

At January 17, 2007 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Light cavalry - small swords, spears, sometimes firearms, no armor.

Heavy cavalry - lances, armored, heavier swords, etc. (Pretty old-fashioned.)

 
At January 17, 2007 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some heavy cavalry also carried shields.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home