Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Monday, September 25, 2006

Kurt M. Landre music: My review

A few days ago, I successfully Googled Kurt M. Landre: He’s the guy, back in 1988 (my second year of college), who successfully ‘’advisor-ed’ me in the buying of my first electric guitar from a local pawn shop.

Because of him helping me, I had an electric guitar. Because I had a guitar, my cousin bought his guitar. Because we both had guitars, my Guitar Cousin and I wrote songs together. Because we wrote songs together, we started a band with my roommate (on drums), recorded our songs on 4-track, and played live. Because of that band, I joined another band later on [which also dissolved; I’ve been band-less for several years]. Because of those recordings, I self-recorded many other songs.

Thus, I’ve always considered Kurt the guy who ‘’got the whole ball rolling.’’

Because we’re on dial-up at home, I had to wait a bit until I could download his two sample MP3 files from his website. Tonight, I listened to the two Kurt songs.

“All the Noises in My Head” reminds me of mid-era R.E.M., both by the vocals (Michael Stipe’s younger brother?) and the instrumentation (mandolin). Pleasant; different than most of the stuff I’ve been listening to as of late.

The second one, “Snake in the Grass”, I liked even better than the first song. Opening riff reminded me (on the second listen, but not the first) of the Indigo Girl’s ‘’Gallileo’’ song. Good narrative; just specific enough to seem real, but loose enough to map one’s one meaning to it. The lyric that caught me as it went by was: ‘’ I remember the time I abandoned you // On a hill built up of mud and sweat and fear // I've spent many hours since then wondering // If we'd both be better men today if I hadn't left you there.’’

And, I like the tune.

My two criteria for a good song are (1) catchy tune, and (2) interesting, thoughtful, evocative, and/or witty lyrics. (And if the tune’s no good, I don’t [mentally] stick around for the lyrics.)

Conclusion: I need to buy the album.

Album, mp3s, and etc. are at http://www.kurtlandre.com/

(P.S. For the recording-type folks: Around 1:45, fun bassline; around 2:00, good wailing; around 2:12 (and after, near end of the bridge), a kettledrum[?].)


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home