Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Friday, April 07, 2006

Word for the day: Diaspora

Word for the day: diaspora.

Came across this term in an article about ''brain drain'' that I'm reading for work: I'm working up a survey on Aussies that have left for better opportunities overseas.

I have a habit -- a good habit, I hope -- of actually looking up words that I don't know, as I come across them.

This one, I'm sure I've looked it up before, but it's been long enough -- and hasn't come up in the meantime -- that I've forgotten the meaning.

When capitalized, it refers to Jewish folks being spread all over the globe. Lower-case, it's people of a certain nationality being spread out -- e.g. Americans living abroad and all over.

Example from the article: ''One half of the Australian diaspora live in Europe; one-half of these live in the UK.''


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home