Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Friday, April 07, 2006

W00t!!! H0m3 70 p4pp4!!!

Don't think I've ever typed ''w00t'' before -- but, here it is again: W00t!!! I am most pleased -- in a geek-ish way. Hence, the ''w00t.'' ;)

Maybe just to get it out of the way, or maybe I'm very trustworthy, my boss said I could take home the big ol' machine, even though I haven't paid for it yet. As I think I mentioned, he was nice enough to include a big ol' monitor to go with it -- so, side by side, they're actually in proportion! (But, notice the twelve-inch/30cm ruler!)

Tried both the PuppyLinux and the Elive ''Live CDs'' on it. (Had to go into the BIOS first, to change the boot order of the drives; kept booting straight to the HD until I did this.) Same problems as before: Puppy Linux sets up fine, but most of the apps won't start when you click on the icon. Bah.

Elive also didn't seem to work. But, on a lark, when I got stuck at the command line prompt, -- where it offered three suggestions of typing ''reboot'' to reboot, ''setup'' to toggle between Elive version 16 and Elive version 17, and something else which I don't remember to tweak the monitor settings -- I tried something I hadn't tried before. All the other times, during the setup process I chose v. 16 over v. 17, since v. 16 was supposed to be stable, whereas v. 17 was still experimental. This time, I took up the offer to switch to v. 17. And --Heeey...! **Now** I'm getting a purdy screen, with icons and everything!!!

So, for some reason Elive 16 is offered on the menu, but doesn't actually connect to anything. Seems a bit of an oversight...


Anyhow, I also marveled at the spaciousness on the insides. Here's the whole thing:



And, here's the area where the drives go:

Due to an expansion card, there's room for three more drives on the ribbon, and physically there's room for five more drives. (Note all the gaps between the existing drives!) Current drives are a floppy and two HDs and a CD-RW and a DVD-ROM and a Zip drive!!!

A gig of RAM; groovy.

850 MHZ -- but it's not like I'm doing any high-end gaming or nuthin'. ;)


This is actually pretty good timing, as (1) our other computer seems to have kakked it, and (2) my Ubuntu Linux CDs that I requested will (hopefully!) be showing up any day now. Can't wait!!! :)

The recently-kaputted PC will (eventually) dontate two physical drives to this old, tall tower.


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home