Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

A tale of three workbenches

My cup runneth over with workbenches I can't yet use.


Soon after we moved here (about two years ago), Next-Door Uncle offered me an extra workbench of his; hopefully he'll let me keep the woodworking vice that's currently attached. The bench is 2.4m long x 0.7m deep x 0.8m high (8ft x 2.3ft x 2.7ft).

Then, back in August of 2005 (i.e. five months ago), he mentioned he also has his paternal grandfather's (i.e. my wife's great-grandpa's) workbench under a tarp, under the eaves behind the house. Apparently Great-Grandpa G----- (henceforth known as ''GGG'') was a shipbuilder -- although it's unknown whether he used this particular workbench for his shipbuilding, or just for projects at home. Next-Door Uncle said I could have this one as well, if I wanted it. (The Lady says Yes! we want it.) This one is 2.8L x 0.6D x 0.9H (9.3ft x 2ft x 3ft). Mighty long.

Then, today I made a move towards acquiring a third. On the property that we'll (eventually!) be building on, there's a mostly- collapsed shed that Gran and Grandad lived in when they first got married: tin roof, tin walls, dirt floor. (Remember, we're rural, in a hot climate, and this was back in the 1920's(?). The photo to the left is of the ''good end'', which is the alcove where the wood-burning stove used to be.

Much of the collapse, of course, was caused by the bushfire that came through a few decades ago: Makes it hard for buildings to stay standing when the wooden supports and beams and such get burnt.

The next shot is from the other, more- collapsed end. The Lady's brother (AKA ''Brother Dave'') has been salvaging metal odds and ends from it, in preparation for our eventual borrowing of a big skip for metal recycling. He mentioned he'd put a broken-down cabinet outside, so it was no longer sheltered by the remnants of the roof.

It's been raining now and then for the past few days, so I thought I should go take a look at it. What remains of it is pretty solid: no obvious rot or termite damage. Used to be some sort of sideboard or horizontal floor cupboard. Three fixed shelves on one side; used to be a cupboard on the other, but now just has a strip of wood swinging on the hinges. No top. One corner has surface charring, a result of the aforementioned bushfire that swept through this lot a few decades ago.

But, as I say, it's sturdy, and a useful size: 1.46m long, 0.44m deep, 0.95m high (4.9ft x 1.5ft x 3.2ft) -- which doesn't include a top. It's falling apart at some of the seams, but some extra screws or nails here and there, some reinforcing blocks at some of the joints, and adding a sturdy top (maybe 3cm-5cm [1''-2'']), and it would make a good workbench. (This is probably inspired by my brother's similar path to creating his own woodworking workbench.) I'll probably scrape off the charred bits, too -- then rub a mix of beeswax and boiled linseed oil across the whole thing, to seal it up.


I'd probably make the new top large enough that a lip extends a few inches across the front, and both ends, to facilitate clamping; maybe along the back, too.


Originally, I was hoping to have room for both Next-Door Uncle's workbench and GGG'sworkbench in my woodshed. But after doing some calculations, I've realized I can't: due to city council regulations, it has to be less than ten square metres (on average, 3.16m x 3.16m [10.5ft x 10.5ft) to avoid needing building inspections and council approval. Since this size includes the wall thickness and the overhang of the eaves, there's not enough room for both long benches in there.


So, here's my new plan: It doesn't make sense to build my woodshed until we actually move next door. But, I don't want to wait until then to start building useful things out of wood. Thus -- When I Finish My Dissertation -- I'll put a tarp over the Hills-hoist clothesline out back (one of those ''umbrella-style'' clotheslines), which will provide shelter from the rain. I'll use the ''rescued'' cupboard as a workbench, placing it on cement flagstones (what Aussies call ''pavers''), to keep it off the wet grass.

Due to it being outside, of course, I wouldn't keep anything in it permanently: I'd ferry tools and pieces out at the beginning of each session, and bring everything back inside at the end. Hm -- would need to build an old-timey wooden toolbox, and/or wooden tool caddie...

Then, when I do build my little woodshed, I'll use Next-Door Uncle's, plus this ''rescued'' one. NDU's is the lower of the two (0.8m/2.7ft), so I'd use that for planing and other work. The rescued cabinet will be around 1.0m high (3.3ft), which makes it better for some sawing, plus staining/varnishing, and gluing/assembling the pieces.

And, the Great-Grandpa G------- workbench will probably end up holding synthesizers and keyboards. Maybe not in keeping with its history -- but at least it'll be seeing some use, instead of being under a tarp. And I'd have to build a rack or table for my synths, anyhow.


WIFMD. ;)


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home