Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Ants in your tea?

As I'd mentioned earlier, I'm having a bit of an ant problem at my desk. On a seemingly separate note, I've resumed my tea-drinking habit, and thus have a pot of tea on my desk, which I draw from.

Can you see where I'm going with this?

Found a few ants floating around in my teapot. Tried fishing them out, but then figured (1) there were only a few (three or four), and (2) some cultures eat insects. So, eh. I left 'em.

I figure as long as I don't look, any ants that make it past the built-in strainer -- I'm using loose tea leaves, not a teabag -- will look like tea leaves.


And no, I'd be more stringent with ''public'' or ''guest'' tea. But I figure, it's just me...


--GG

3 Comments:

At January 15, 2006 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should do your best to avoid eating insects, except when a certain species of insect is KNOWN to be safe to eat.

Many animals that eat insects avoid eating ANTS, likely for good reason.
I believe many species of ants are more toxic than the average run-of-the-mill insect.

Therefore, once again, I urge you to avoid eating ants whenever possible.

 
At January 16, 2006 11:57 AM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Good thought; will heed.

--GG

 
At February 10, 2006 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Correct, although certain types of ant poisons become neutralized/destroyed if cooked, as they would be in tea. (Didn't that Norwegian soldier guy learn how to cook ants?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home