Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Good White Stripes single

Bought the White Stripes' ''My Doorbell'' single yesterday. Three bucks -- not bad! I should buy more CD-singles. As a songwriter, I used to be against it, 'cause it makes it less likely you'll buy the whole album and hear all the rest of the songs. But now I'm realizing: sometimes the hit song is the only good song on the album. (Although not nesc. in this case.)

Played it all last night, plus today.

Impressed with the full sound they achieve on this one with just piano and drums. Also have two ''live'' tracks that aren't quite as full-sounding -- guitar plus drums. Hard to achieve without anything filling in the bass register, in my opinion. Also hard to get a driving, powerful sound without a bass.

But then, in the bands I've been in, I've been the bass player. So I'm biased that way. ;)


--GG

1 Comments:

At October 11, 2005 4:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that's why the music industry has been upset at this "pay-per-song" download concept. Problem is, you can't force an old trend to take the place of a new trend; trends just *are* ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home