Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Strange hobby

It's Saturday. On evenings and weekends, some people collect stamps, or dress up zucchini, or catalog their socks.

And myself? I work on my dissertation. A few hours in the evening after dinner; a chunk of time on the weekend -- after doing household-type things I've put off for months because of the dissertation that I can't put off any longer. Plus spending a modicum of time with my family.
It's not all bad -- at least, at the moment. Things are coming together, and I'm getting interesting (to me!) results. Just chipping away.

But, quite frankly, I'd rather be recording some songs. Or making useful things out of wood. Or -- hey! -- renting the occassional DVD.

But -- someday.

My original thought was that I'd complete my final draft by the end of October (Actually, my original original thought was that I'd be done back in June...); have about a November off while my Committee read it; and re-defend in early December -- and be done by the end of the academic quarter!

But now I realize that that ain't happenin', either: this last week was inefficient (wife ill, so she wasn't able to ''buffer'' my from household duties as she had been; plus, busy week at work, had to bring things home to finish). So, I'll keep plugging away, but it looks more like I'll be a few weeks shy -- meaning that I'll defend in early(??) January.

Heesh. Dragging on.

WIFMD (TM)...


--GG


P.S. But, I still have my health.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home