Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Young child permits practice

The difficulty with having a fairly young kid (3yo) is that they need fairly constant supervising -- in part, because of their short attention span.

The benefit is that sometimes they enjoy what you enjoy.

Because I'm trying to be ''good'', I haven't practiced musical instruments in a fair while. However, the last few weeks, as I've been watching The Kid, she's asked to play the guitar; play the drums; play the trumpet; and help me juggle. So, I've brought out the requested instrument, and get a few minutes of re-acquainting before The Kid gets bored and I have to chase after her.

Juggling seems to hold her attention fairly well. I'm wretched at it -- if I'm lucky, I actually manage a few cycles of actual ''juggling'', but mostly the beanbags just go all over. But, she acts as ''ball girl'' and pounces on them and brings them back to me.

Part of the reason that I'm bad at juggling is because I never practice. (Part of it is a lack of natural talent: my younger brother picked it up in just one sitting.) But: thanks to The Girl, I'm actually practicing!!! :)


On a related note, I'm hoping she retains her interest in music: I could use a good drummer (or trumpeter, or guitarist) in the house!


--GG

1 Comments:

At September 28, 2007 4:31 PM, Blogger slag said...

Four Tower is quite the juggler and a great teacher. Next time you're in the hood, he'll have to learn ya. He actually almost taught me--and that's saying something!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home