Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Friday, January 08, 2021

Taylor swift sings like Suzanne Vega

Am listening to Taylor Swift's Folklore album on YouTube (I don't "do" Spotify; considered getting the album on LP, but it's AU$80, which I can't justify).  

He vocals sound a lot like Suzanne Vega's.

Most of the songs aren't as immediately catchy ("hook-y") as her more well-known work.  Some good lyrics in there, though.

I'm pleased that she's found some good co-writers -- and maybe I'm just wishing that **I** had people to collaborate with, as well -- but it would be good if she would go back to writing her own stuff.

That said:  if she was in a band (e.g. The Beatles), then I wouldn't have this issue about solo-songwriting.  It's probably about being a "pop" (and before that, "country") artist -- both of which have strong traditions of people writing songs for the performer.  My assessment is that writing the song is the hardest part: once you have a good song, it's hard to mess up the "interpretation".

Which is why cover songs as an artist's "breakthrough" release are a bit of a "cheat":  if the song was a hit once, it's pretty easy to make it a hit again.


--GG

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home