Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Thursday, December 31, 2020

Woodturning is great

I was e-mailing Old Roomate, in response to one of his comments on my "lathe work" item on my "To Do" list, about how I really like lathe work.

Wood turning is  similar to mowing the lawn after it's starting to get shaggy, in that the sense of progress is obvious, through the contrast of what you've cut off, versus what's left behind.  

And unlike throwing pots (on a potter's wheel) -- which tends to be limited to liquid-holding or food-holding items (cups, jugs, bowls), due to clay's waterproof but not terribly strong nature -- wood-turning lets you make all sorts of useful things:  chair legs, ends of stair rails, cylinders, cones....

After a few minutes, the ground is covered with shavings -- and the chunk of wood that you had  loaded into the lathe has now become a recognizable "thing" -- a tool handle, perhaps.

 

Anyhow:  I like it.  :) 

 

Which means:  I should do more of it.


--GG

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home