Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Thursday, October 22, 2015

Movie review of The Garden State

Saw Garden State, on DVD, which starred and was written and directed by Zach Braff.  

It's about a guy who's an aspiring actor in Los Angeles, who comes back to his hometown in New Jersey for a few days for the funeral of his mother.  While he's back in town he re-connects with some of his high-school friends, and meets a love interest (played by Natalie Portman).  A very young Jim Parsons has a small part.


Most of the characters are likeable enough, and I was curious enough to see how it ended – and it basically had a happy ending, of which I typically approve. 



Zach Braff said that he intentionally made a move that didn't have three acts with the traditional pacing – and I'd have to say that he succeeded:  the movie is fairly low-key, and it putters along. 


I'd heard about the movie over the years, and I'd always been mildly curious – and now I've seen it.  So, yup.



It's worth seeing once, as it's pleasant enough, and once you've seen it you can say “Oh, yeah – I've seen it” if the movie comes up in conversation. 


Some cussing, some drug use, some hints of sex.  No nudity or violence that I recall.



--GG

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home