Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Friday, July 31, 2015

Hey Jealousy

I'm not sure what brought this on (but I'm sure my subconscious does!) -- but a few days ago I've been thinking about the song "Hey Jealousy", by the Gin Blossoms.  Been singing it to myself, at home, in the car, at work.

It's a sad song, if you listen to the lyrics -- and the context is sad as well:  according to Wikipedia, the band member who wrote the song got kicked out of the band for substance abuse problems -- and then sat on the sidelines while the band (without him!) hit the big time on the strength of that song.  Shortly after, he killed himself.

Anyhow, a few days ago I did a web search for the lyrics, and last night I did a search for the chords -- and then stayed up late playing the song.

In the original version of the song, the third verse just repeats the first verse.  But today, on the train ride to work I had the audacity to write my own third verse, which hints at a future together.  And I'm also changing the phrase "Hey Jealousy" to "Hey Melody".

I also did a YouTube search for cover versions -- all of which are either pretty faithful "distorted guitar" renditions or else "acoustic guitar" versions in the same tempo.  Mine will be more synth-driven -- I think.

When I get around to it.  :)


--GG

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home