Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Isle of Man

I think I mentioned, perhaps half a year ago, that I got into a "Wouldn't it be cool to live in Norway for a year?" kick.  I did a fair amount of internet research, including getting a list of small-to-medium-sized villages and Google Maps-ing them.

That interest lasted a few weeks, until I realized that the daydream of moving to Norway was based on hanging around the house doing music and woodworking.  The finances were unclear in my daydream, but probably involved lottery winnings.  And I realized that if I won the lottery, I'd end up just staying home and doing music and woodworking without having to move to Norway to do it.  Ah.


Anyhow, a few days ago a data analysis at work -- in an indirect way -- made me encounter the Isle of Man.  I didn't know where it was, so I Wikipedia'd it.  And now I'm on a "wouldn't it be interesting to move to the Isle of Man" kick.

The island is pretty oval-shaped.  Not very big:  To drive from one end of the island to the other is 30-40 minutes (I don’t know the speed limit).


Also, the ferry ride from Liverpool(!!!) to the island is about 45 minutes, and I think the ferry ride from the island to Dublin is about an hour.


The internet says that the weather is pretty mild:  from memory, it stays just above freezing during the winter, but substantially cooler than Brisbane during the summer!

And most of it's fairly rural -- so, lots of room for a workshop and a recording studio in the back yard, if you buy right.  Maybe something like this.


Also, they have karate, tae kwon do, boxing, and mixed martial arts available.  They used to have wing chun; not sure if they still do.


But, once again:  if I had the money to do that, I may as well just stay here.


 --GG

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home