Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Sunday, January 05, 2014

Movie review of Frozen

Yesterday we saw the movie Frozen.  As often happens with me and "kids' movies", I didn't want to go because I thought it wouldn't be any good.  So the fact that I ended up liking the movie -- starting about two minutes into it -- is testimony to its quality.

As with good animated films, it's interesting to grown-ups as well.

The basic premise is that it takes place in a made-up kingdom that reminded me of Finland (or how I imagine Finland would have been a few hundred years ago).  The heir to the throne (female) has ice and snow abilities, but she can't control them, so she ends up hding in her room and rarely seeing her parents or sister (with whom she was previously very close).  And then things happen.

It's well-written, good animation, and several subtle but refreshing twists on traditional "fairy tales":  both the main characters are females, and (as it turns out -- A MINOR **SPOILER**, SO STOP READING -- neither one ends up needing a man to "redeem" or rescue her.

Also, there were two places where I teared up:  sad or poignant bits.  And there was a place near the end where the animators (or writers?) had a nice touch:  a puff of steamed breath.  You'll know what I mean when you see it.

So, I liked it.  Not enough to buy a copy and watch it over and over -- but enough to recommend that people check it out.


--GG

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home