Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Songs at your funeral

On Tuesday I was moral support for my wife at a family funeral. An aunt; I'd only met her once. They played a lot of good songs during the service -- presumably, ones that the aunt liked.

This made me realize that, if a person is savvy enough to choose her own songs for her funeral ahead of time, then funeral songs serve as a small "mix tape": a snapshot of the person's musical tastes.


I came up with these, for myself (see below). Maybe add an instrumental piece as well, if I ever get around to writing one.

1. Hey Jealousy - Gin Blossoms
2. Valerie Loves Me - Material Issue
3. Il Fait Plu - Gye Greene (me)
4. Shout - Devo
5. Magic - The Cars
6. Hello, I Must be Going - Groucho Marx
7. Tom Sawyer - Rush
8. Happy Noodle vs Sad Noodle - Logan Whitehurst
9. Smooth Noodle Maps - Devo
10. Everybody Wants a Rock - They Might Be Giants
11. Blitzkreig Bop - The Ramones ((or maybe not))

Not necessarily in that order.

Hmm -- eleven songs is probably a bit much. Maybe use "Tom Sawyer" during the seating period (maybe the very last song before the service starts?). And "Magic" could be used as the recessional.


--GG

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home