Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Monday, June 27, 2011

Unintentionally amusing

I came across some criminal offense categories at work. Two of them struck me as amusing (which may be horrible of me; not sure).

"ROBBERY WHILE PRETENDING TO BE ARMED IN COMPANY" -- There's basic "robbery", but if you do it "in company" (i.e., with other people), "while armed", or while "pretending to be armed", those are more serious than the baseline offense. But, "while pretending to be armed, in company" made me imagine a mime, holding an imaginary gun, with imaginary accomplices.

"ROBBERY WITH ACTUAL VIOLENCE" -- Robbery is the use of force, or threat of force, to gain material goods. Thus, even though the person usually gains money, it's classified as a violent crime, not a property crime. So, a robbery event where the person actually uses violence is more serious than simply threatening violence. But the phrasing still amused me: I imagined Steve Martin's voice, saying, "they used ACTUAL violence!"


So: amusing -- to me. Maybe it's funnier if you actually live inside my head.


--GG

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At June 28, 2011 2:01 AM, Blogger IT (aka Ivan Toblog) said...

I think maybe there are just too many lawyers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home