Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Mostly recovered

Gah.


OK -- Monday night, I stayed up late working, followed by (whoops!) spending about an hour on YouTube, watching people give foolish answers on "Who ... Millionaire", "Wheel o' Fortune", and the like. Went to bed about 1am (technically, Tuesday morning).

"Hm," I thought to myself. "Stayed up so late, I gave myself a stomach ache."


Then I woke up about 5am Tuesday with a **really** unhappy stomach. Dashed to the toilet; kneeled down; you can imagine the rest. (Hm. Don't think it was staying up late that did it.) The Lady got me a few towels to use as blankets and floor padding, a sweatshirt, sweatpants, socks, stocking cap, and a water bottle, and I spent the next twenty-four hours (literally) dozing on the tile floor of the bathroom (easier to clean up, should it be needed, than bedding or carpet; also, towels easier to launder than blankets). Felt queasy all through Tuesday, and Wednesday night, but no further "action" -- so I **could've** slept in my bed, after all.

Tuesday is basically just an empty day to me: lying on the floor, basically asleep except to shift position, and occasionally waking up to take a sip of water. Every time I'd fall back asleep, I'd have the same weird but boring, repetitive dream of a white paperboard box the size of a deck of cards. Also, my lower back was starting to get sore.


The Lady stayed home from work on Tuesday.


None of this should have been **too** shocking, as each of the boys had vomited and had some 24-hour bug within the last week or so. But I seemed to be hit harder than them.


So, Tuesday was spent sleeping on the bathroom floor. My only change of pace was about 5pm Tuesday, when The Lady hollered for me: The Girl had thrown up, out in the family room. I assisted somewhat -- mostly just holding The Girl while The Lady did the actual clean-up. By bedtime, though, The Girl was mostly better, and although she didn't go to school on Wednesday, she **did** go to her piano lesson that afternoon.

Wednesday was my weak-as-toast day. The Lady had some meetings with students that she couldn't miss, so I wrangled the kids for most of the day. I lay on the sofa and watched kiddie t.v. shows with the kids, and then various children's DVDs. Whenever I got up to do anything, my teeth, gums, and hands tingled. Clearly not yet well. Hadn't consumed any food for the past 24 hours, so had a few crackers during the day. At night, I had a little meat pie, plus some re-heated sweet potato fries.

Thursday was the wacky body temperature day. (Wish I'd get sick during **summer**, for a change -- being Down Under, it's currently winter.) For the first few hours, couldn't get warm, even with two t-shirts, two flannels shirts, a sweatshirt, a coat, and a stocking cap -- and lying under a blanket (on the sofa). But then, when I walked around getting something for the boys (The Lady had to go in to work; The Girl was back at school), I immediately got **really** hot. So: freezing if just sitting/lying; sweating if just walking around. Despite that, about 85% "normal".

Also, while counting down the time until I had to go pick The Girl up from school, I realized I'd not returned the DVD that was due on Tuesday: was too busy being unconscious, and not at all thinking of such things. So, dropped it off on the way home from the school.


I'm probably 90% recovered, not (11pm, Thursday night). Being sick has **really** torpedoed my "hours logged for work" for this pay period -- will try to make it up this weekend.

But, at least it makes ya **really** appreciate felling "normal".


--GG

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home