Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Thursday, May 27, 2010

To become a better drummer

Last night I did two things towards becoming a competent drummer.


After dinner, the boys had expressed interest in playing my drums, so I unearthed them, and I played a bit, as well. I noticed that within just a few minutes, my kick drum leg started seizing up, due to the busy kick drum patterns I was playing.

So, later that night I put a wooden box under my desk, draped it with an old t-shirt (folded over a few times) for dampening, and put my spare kick drum pedal in front of it. My hope is that I'll use it in an absent-minded manner while checking e-mail, etc. I tried it out, and yep -- seems to work. Build up my kick drum endurance.


The second thing I did was finish off a small project that's been in the works for about a month. I had a green (of course!) Pringles can that houses my various drum sticks. However, it keeps falling over on the carpet. So, I grabbed a square-ish piece of wood (dunno where it came from), punched a hole in the bottom of the Pringles can, and...


Drumstick holder!


Seems to work: holds all my drumsticks; and it doesn't fall over.



It's a funny shaped piece of wood. I briefly considered squaring it up -- or at least cutting off the angled end. But I liked the quirky nature of it.


--GG

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At May 28, 2010 10:41 AM, Anonymous Giovanni said...

Innovative. Green.
When I was a college student, I had a clothing shelf made entirely of cardboard boxes!

 
At May 28, 2010 12:49 PM, Anonymous Dadbert said...

A potato chip off the old block.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home