Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Thursday, June 03, 2010

Movie recommended: Children of Men

I work from home doing "hourly" work, and my timesheet is due on Wednesday. So, there tends to be a bit of a push on Tuesday night (and Wednesday morning) to rack up the hours. This makes my Wednesday night feel like most people's Fridays.

Wednesday night, then, I watched Children of Men (2006) on DVD. (For the last few years I've kept a running list of the movies I've seen, plus my mini-review. Sadly, the last movie I'd seen was in November 2009 - six months ago.)


Briefly: It's year 2029, and no one has been born for 18 years -- so it's a world without children. Because of this, the whole world is in chaos except (for some reason -- geographic isolation?) Great Britain. G. Brit. has, however, become somewhat draconian, forcibly deporting all illegal immigrants and (for example) offering free suicide kits.

The main character guy somehow gets caught up in smuggling a pregnant lady (the first in years and years!) out of the country to some freedom ship.

The ending is mildly ambiguous, which I usually don't like (I prefer to see the "happy ending" wrap-up, rather than just having it implied). But this one wasn't so ambiguous as to spoil the movie for me.

Ratings-ish: There's some intermittent cussing, intermittent high violence, and brief nudity.


Although I have many movies on my “To See” list, I bumped this one to the top due to seeing a section of it on a website with the “Top 10 Movie Tracking Shots of All Time” (or some-such). Many scenes in the movie were done in one continuous take, which lends a feel of “you are there” to the movie.


--GG

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home